More details about the FBI raid on Trump lawyer Michael Cohen’s hotel, home and office are slowly leaking out.
The New York Times reported that in addition to information about payoffs to two alleged Trump mistresses – former adult actress Stormy Daniels (real name Stephanie Clifford) and former playmate Karen MacDougal) – the FBI was searching for information related to the “Access Hollywood” tape, where Trump uttered the infamous phrase “grab her by the p***y”.
Specifically, the Feds were looking for evidence that Cohen tried to suppress damaging information about Trump during the campaign. The tape was published by the Washington Post a month before the election, and prompted many political pundits to write Trump off (something they would swiftly regret).
The Feds are also seeking information about the role National Enquirer publisher David Pecker played in purportedly silencing the women. It was revealed after the raid that Cohen is being investigated for bank fraud and possible campaign finance violations.
Investigators are trying to determine the precise nature of Cohen’s role during the campaign – he wasn’t an official member of the campaign staff (instead, he was still working for the Trump Organization) – as they seek to determine whether a payment to Daniels by Cohen constituted an illegal campaign contribution.
Cohen famously said under oath that he paid Daniels $130,000 – a payment she’s described as “hush money” – on his own accord, and totally independent of Trump.
Trump is furious over these revelations, the Times said, because they cross the “red line” that Trump delineated during an interview with the Times last summer – namely, that the prosecutor stay away from his business and his family’s financial dealings.
Obama Library Opening Postponed For Another Year
The Obama Foundation has pushed back the groundbreaking date for the Obama Presidential Center after the federal review process was delayed for a second time this summer, officials confirmed Friday.
Instead of starting construction later this year, the foundation is now saying they plan to break ground for the half-billion-dollar project sometime in 2019. Officials avoided setting a specific date during the year. They also would not say if this will change their timeline for building the center, which was once slated to open in 2021.
“We have a sense of urgency about this project (and) when we started, we wanted the public to know we would break ground as soon as possible,” said Michael Strautmanis, the vice president for civic engagement for the foundation. “But we also knew there were some things that were not in our control. We insist on going through the process with integrity and without rushing.”
Before the presidential center can be built, the federal government will review its impact on Jackson Park, which is on the National Register of Historic Places, and evaluate the project’s environmental effects. Any impact that the review highlights will have to be resolved before construction can be allowed.
There have already been two public federal review meetings. A third was scheduled in June, but then it was delayed until July. Now it has been delayed until late summer, according to the city of Chicago’s website.
The federal review process has to be conducted because of Jackson Park’s historic status and because it involved closing and expanding major streets.
The news of the delay comes just a day after activists gathered on the South Side at a meeting to discuss placing a community benefits agreement proposition on the February ballot.
“Legal Remedies” Coming For Tech Censorship?
Rep. Devin Nunes said he is looking at possible legal action against Twitter over the “shadow banning” fiasco that temporarily decreased the visibility he and other Republicans had on the social media platform.
Last week, Vice News reported that Nunes, along with several other conservative Republican figures, were harder to find on Twitter as their accounts did not show up on the auto-populated drop-down search box.
“It sure looks to me like they are censoring people and they ought to stop it. We are looking at any legal remedies to go through,” Nunes, R-Calif., said at the end of a Sunday morning interview on Fox News.
Twitter did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
Nunes’ comments follow a tweet by President Trump saying “We will look into this discriminatory and illegal practice at once!”
Those GOP individuals who were effected by the “shadow banning” debacle didn’t completely disappear from Twitter — their profiles did appear when a full search was conducted — but they did express ire at what they said could be a politically charged maneuver to make it less convenient for users to find them. These GOP figures — Nunes, along with Reps. Matt Gaetz, Jim Jordan, and Mark Meadows, as well as Republican National Committee Chairwoman Ronna McDaniel — felt the impact along with controversial right-wing figures, including Jason Kessler, the organizer of last year’s white nationalist rally in Charlottesville, Va.
Trump vs Fake News: “I Will Never Stop Fighting For The American People”
President Trump leveled harsh criticism of the fake news media over their constant negative coverage of his administration, and assured the American people he won’t let them continue to sell out the country.
“When the media – driven insane by their Trump Derangement Syndrome – reveals internal deliberations of our government, it truly puts the lives of many, not just journalists, at risk! Very unpatriotic!” Trump tweeted Sunday.
“Freedom of the press also comes with a responsibility to report the news accurately. 90% of media coverage of my Administration is negative, despite the tremendously positive results we are achieving, it’s no surprise that confidence in the media is at an all time low!”
“I will not allow our great country to be sold out by anti-Trump haters in the dying newspaper industry,” he continued. “No matter how much they try to distract and cover it up, our country is making great progress under my leadership and I will never stop fighting for the American people!”
Trump then made it clear that leftist publications like the New York Times “will never change” in their coverage against him.
“As an example, the failing New York Times and the Amazon Washington Post do nothing but write bad stories even on very positive achievements – and they will never change!”