Connect with us

Politics

Trumps Calls For $1.5 Trillion For Infrastructure Plan

Published

on

(Via Zerohedge)


President Donald Trump was widely expected to discuss his long-anticipated infrastructure plan tonight, particularly since the White House leaked an outline for a plan to generate $1 trillion in spending through public-private partnerships. Tonight, Trump unveiled an even more ambitious sum, requesting Congress present an infrastructure bill for $1.5 trillion to rebuild America’s roads, airports and rails.


Lamenting that it can take up to 10 years for a permit to be approved to build a simple road Trump demanded that the infrastructure plan also clear away the red tape surrounding the permitting process.


As previously discussed, Trump’s framework under discussion for modernizing U.S. roads, bridges, waterways and other public works calls for allocating at least $200 billion in federal funds over 10 years to spur states, localities and the private sector to spend at least $800 billion and as much as $1.6 trillion. Ultimately, however, the government may be on the hook for the full amount, which would have to be funded with incremental debt.


As Bloomberg notes, White House infrastructure adviser DJ Gribbin has said the administration plans to send detailed principles to Congress a week or two after Trump’s State of the Union speech to begin the legislative process.


Excerpted from the speech:


I am asking both parties to come together to give us the safe, fast, reliable, and modern infrastructure our economy needs and our people deserve.


Tonight, I am calling on the Congress to produce a bill that generates at least $1.5 trillion for the new infrastructure investment we need.


Every Federal dollar should be leveraged by partnering with State and local governments and, where appropriate, tapping into private sector investment — to permanently fix the infrastructure deficit.


Any bill must also streamline the permitting and approval process — getting it down to no more than two years, and perhaps even one.


In response, Bloomberg Intelligence analyst Nathan Dean says that Trump’s call for $1.5t for the new infrastructure is going to fall flat with Congress, noting that there isn’t enough time for Congress to agree on such a broad package before they turn their attention to the 2018 elections, not to mention coming to a bipartisan agreement over budget concerns.


As Dean further says, “all of this infrastructure talk in Washington is going to have little impact on total U.S. infrastructure growth in 2018.”


Meanwhile, Democrats are already questioning the plan and key groups are at loggerheads over the question of funding.


And so, despite the massive spending commitment, which could mean as much as $1.5 trillion in new debt, there was little reaction in the ten year, which was modestly lower on the news, as it either has had plenty of time to price the news debt in, or simply does not believe that it will happen.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

Politics

“If you can’t manage a campaign, how do you manage the country?”: Chuck Todd schools Bernie Sanders

Published

on

YouTube Screengrab

In a segment Thursday on MSNBC, network host Chuck Todd slammed Democratic Senator Bernie Sanders for allowing sexual misconduct to occur inside his 2016 presidential campaign.

“Could this derail his chances of another presidential bid,” host Chuck Todd wondered before playing a video clip.

“Boy, that is a tough answer to defend of course,” Todd said referring to Sanders telling CNN’s Anderson Cooper in an interview that he didn’t know about ongoing sexual misconduct because he was “a little busy running around the country trying to…make the case.”

“Because if you’re running to be president of the United States…if you can’t manage your campaign, how do you manage the country,” Todd continued. “No potential 2020 candidates had a worse start to 2019 than Bernie Sanders”

WATCH:

Continue Reading

Politics

Michael Cohen, former Trump attorney, accepts Democratic invitation to testify before Congress next month

Published

on

Michael Cohen

WASHINGTON — Michael Cohen, President Trump’s former personal attorney, who implicated his former boss and the now-president in a federal crime, has accepted an invitation from House Democrats to testify before the House Oversight and Reform Committee early February — just shy of a month before he must report to federal prison to serve his sentence for violating federal campaign finance law, lying to Congress, and tax evasion.

“In furtherance of my commitment to cooperate and provide the American people with answers, I have accepted the invitation by Chairman Elijah Cummings to appear publicly on February 7th before the Committee on Oversight and Government Reform,” Mr. Cohen said Thursday in a statement. “I look forward to having the privilege of being afforded a platform with which to give a full and credible account of the events which have transpired.”

Mr. Cummings, 67, said Thursday that his committee was “in the process of consulting with Special Counsel Mueller’s office” to confirm that Mr. Cohen’s testimony wouldn’t conflict with Mr. Mueller’s ongoing investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 election. “I want to make clear that we have no interest in inappropriately interfering with any ongoing criminal investigations,” he said in a statement.

Mr. Cohen, who served as Mr. Trump’s fixer for over a decade, once famously said that he would “take a bullet” for Mr. Trump. However, within the last several months, Mr. Cohen has turned on his former boss, offering partial cooperation to Mr. Mueller.

Mr. Cohen was sentenced to three years in prison last month by a federal judge in Manhattan after entering into a plea agreement on Nov. 29 with prosecutors in the Southern District of New York. In his guilty plea, federal prosecutors did not, in exchange for his cooperation, downgrade sentencing recommendations. Mr. Cohen voluntarily offered his cooperation to Mr. Mueller and his team of assistant prosecutors.

Mr. Cohen ultimately spent over 70 hours behind closed doors with federal prosecutors — both from the Southern District of New York and members of Mr. Mueller’s team, who are probing whether the Kremlin, with or without the assistance of Mr. Trump’s campaign, sought to influence the 2016 presidential election. In response to his cooperation with prosecutors, Mr. Trump has called his former attorney, Mr. Cohen, a “weak man.”

Mr. Trump has thus-far said he did “nothing wrong,” and accused Mr. Cohen of misconduct and lying in an attempt to receive a reduced sentenced. In legal filings, federal prosecutors have not directly named Mr. Trump — referring to him as a “candidate for federal office,” and “Individual-1.”

“I take full responsibility for each act that I pled guilty to: The personal ones to me and those involving the President of the United States of America,” Mr. Cohen said last month at his sentencing hearing. “I have been living in a personal and mental incarceration ever since the day that I accepted the offer to work for a real-estate mogul whose business acumen that I deeply admired.”

When asked on Thursday whether he was concerned about his former attorney testifying to Congress, Mr. Trump said: “I’m not worried about it at all, no.”

Continue Reading

Politics

‘Second Chance Voters’ Campaign in Florida To Help Felons Vote and Get Jobs

Published

on

Today a new campaign is officially launching in Florida for encouraging Felons to vote, increasing their opportunity through jobs, and lessening the stigma around the issue of felons voting. The ‘Second Chance Voter Campaign’ is lead by experienced Councilman Steve Nadine. With an official launch on their website here at www.SecondChanceVoters.org , you can see the intent of the organization and goals set forth.

Karyn Turk of Red America Radio and Populist Wire is also a leading effort in the campaign, she says

“Although many of us were not for, Amendment Four, before it passed. As Republicans it is of extreme importance that we motivate these voters. This new population is a great opportunity for the GOP. We must work with these voters to educate them on republican candidates and important initiatives”

The Press Release States:

Second Chance Voters is led by Steve Nadine. Steve previously served as a County Commissioner and City Councilman and has also served on Alabama’s Sentencing Commission. These experiences have given him a unique and highly qualified credible resume especially in light of his status as an ex-felon and who served his time and probation.

Second Chance Voters will also be a proactive in leading the efforts to work with local and state leaders to effectively and efficiently implement the important components of The First Step Act:

Second Chance Voters will focus their efforts on the following:

Registering ex-felons and their families to vote.

Creating workforce development programs to provide employment opportunities.

Working with Local and State Leaders on tax incentives and tie-ins with economic development organizations to educate and train those incarcerated in local, state and federal prisons, a step critical to reducing recidivism.

Proving guidance on prison, probation and prosecution reform after the First Step Act is implement.

Creating outreach programs for at risk ex-felons and those who are scheduled to be released.

Conducting research on how The First Step Act reforms will effect local, state and federal prosecution and how it will impact the currently under-funded prison systems.

Launching a “Reforming from Within” initiative which will focus on how vitality important it is to educate the ex-felon and those set to be released that this is their Second Chance to proactively participate in their communities and that they can exercise those rights through voting.

Educating the public about the stigma and discrimination faced ex-felon including efforts to ban “checking the box.” These include the many jobs and professions from which they are restricted.

Lobbying in all states that currently restrict ex-felon voting rights.

A lot of what this Campaign is doing is holding politicians like newly elected Governor Rob Desantis to not hold up this right for Felons who have completed their sentence, fine, and probation. It’ll make sure the rights of Felons are restored as soon as possible, as close to the original intent of Amendment Four. This is going to empower any individual who takes it upon themselves to get their rights that had been previously been disenfranchised.

Founder of the Campaign, Steve Nadine is no newcomer when it comes to politics and especially this issue. Steve has an extensive record as the he was at the forefront of the battle to give rights to ex-offenders. He was most important in creating the ‘Jump Start’ program which offered jobs and opportunities to juvenile offenders who were completed a military-style boot camp.

This will be a great way to not only help felons get on their feet but help realize their larger role in a Democratic society that has left them out of the process.

Continue Reading

Trending

Donate to Populist Wire

*Note: Every donation is greatly appreciated, regardless of the amount.